Rich DAD poor DAD

"hello daddy" - she said to me as I picked up  from her mothers house, "weekend daddy , I thought to myself, this is what it has come to" ... I grew up the youngest of 6, in-between houses and schools, no father because he had chose another woman with another family, almost no mother because she was out working far from home keeping us alive, I held my relationship with my father in my heart for quiet some time and deeply resented him for the choice he made no child should grow up fatherless like I did, not in this after-apartheid society that still socially segregates children based on race, I knew first hand what that emptiness felt like, I was 21 when I had my first child, barely a man, 6 months later baby number 2, yes...6 months later, you do the math, I always aspired to fill the void in my life with my own family...with one house..with one wife, to bring some stability to my life, God however thought this was funny and here I am 5 years later single Dad, picking up my kids from their mothers house I am like you, like most of us, thats been brainwashed to want what western culture has shown us is the-acceptable-dream, the windswept romance- the hopeless romantic that stops you just before you're about to get on that flight, you know the one where "they had me at hello" looking back its almost a nauseating fiction so far deject from our reality that its unbelievably sad, as sad almost as our reality is, They forget to include the very public facebook fight, the lies and cheating that goes on for months sometimes years, the lonely hurt of a broken relationship, the awkward moment your friends ask about it or even worst when you're kids ask about mommy and daddy ,there is no answer you can give them that doesn't justify why you're not together the truth is "we were selfish and didn't really want to put our differences aside and now you just gotta deal with having two christmases and running back and forth between my house and her house OK?!  "...sigh...the funniest part is that I am still holding onto those dreams..still hoping for marriage like a fools treasure, still holding onto a whimsical hollywood fantasy of a white picket fence and tyre-swing in the front-yard ...thats the reason when I see dying homeless person I give them directions to a homeless shelter that doesn't exist ..because HOPE keeps us alive...

2 comments: